Instead of getting your papi a tie this Father's Day, invest in the health of the entire familia by staying active while spending quality time together.
Share the love, get fit, and create memories with one of my family-friendly options:
Natalie's 5 Family-Friendly Fitness Activities
- Team sports: Instead of watching Dad's favorite sport, play it! Level the playing field so that everyone can participate by choosing easier variations of popular sports like T-ball, flag football, or yoga ball soccer.
- Golf: Keep your papi company as a fellow competitor or caddy on 9 or 18 holes. For groups of mixed endurance levels, try shorter pitch and putt courses or beginner-friendly driving ranges or mini golf courses for fun family outings.
- Boating: Sailing is a great summer sport that will keep you cool as you stay active. No nautical experience? Canoeing is easy to learn and is a great group activity, as I describe in Fitness: 4 Reasons to Try Canoeing this Summer.
- Walk or run: If Dad loves the outdoors, hiking is a perfect way to explore new places and is great for any fitness level as I explain in Fitness: 5 Reasons to Take a Hike. Competitive? Speed it up and participate in a Father's Day 5k run or walk. My dad and I have started a new tradition of taking "photo safaris" where we meet at a beautiful place and walk around as we take photos. Find an activity that fits your interests and keeps you moving.
- Yard games: Keep things chill at your casa while playing a fun outdoor game like bocce ball, frisbee, or a bean bag toss while preparing a healthy, delicious meal on the grill.
If Dad is too far for a joint workout, encourage him to get moving with a fitness-related gift like sports equipment or a gym pass.
Physical activity is a great gift for family members to give each other. Padres: modeling physical activity for your children is muy importante, especially when more than 1/3 of children in the United States are overweight or obese, which can be caused by inactivity as well as a poor diet. Taking care of your health is important for your kids, too. Your hijos want you to be active in their lives as long as possible and regular activity can extend life and reduce your risk of chronic diseases.
This Father's Day create and experience a fun, family fitness activity. You will love the quality time spent together and will feel great from the workout and the knowledge that you are helping your familia live a healthy life.
¿Need workout inspiration? Click here to read more of my fitness suggestions.
A teacher by day, The Wise Latina Club’s Natalie Wagner Fierro is the co-founder of the Institute for Student Health. She equally loves food (cooking or dining in Washington’s restaurants) and burning calories by distance running, practicing yoga, and archery. Click here to read more about and connect with Natalie.
What family fitness activities will you do this Father's Day weekend?