Summer is officially here--grab your sunscreen and shades, head to the pool.
The American Medical Association announced this week that obesity is now recognized as a "chronic disease" and not simply a "major public health problem." Prevent obesity by staying active all year round and in the warm weather, jump in for a refreshing pool workout.
Summer heat is no excuse to stay sedentary when there are so many fun water activities to choose from:
Natalie’s Favorite Pool Workouts
- Swim laps: This cardiovascular exercise works your entire body and provides a low-impact workout option prefect for anyone with joint problems. If you're new to swimming, train in intervals until you get the hang of it: swim for 30 seconds then rest for 30 seconds and gradually increase your time moving. Continue this pattern for 30 minutes and work up to 60 minutes. Swimming laps burns nearly the same amount of calories as running-without the heat exhaustion! Check out these tips on how to swim laps.
- Walk laps: Don’t swim? No hay problema. Water resistance makes even walking a challenge that will tone your core. Grab an amiga and catch up as you stroll around the shallow end.
- Play: Whether it's water volleyball or freeze tag, water games keep you burning calories while having fun. The best workout options don't feel like work!
- Water aerobics: Many gyms with pools will offer water aerobics classes, or you can design your on pool fitness routine by combining some of these 8 exercises with a pool noodle and these 7 water exercises.
To get the most out of any pool workout, keep your abs tight, use slow, controlled movements and watch your form.
Regular exercise is crucial to maintaining good health, yet as I mention in Fitness: 4 Reasons to Try Canoeing this Summer, it can be hard to motivate yourself to get moving in the summer. Water workouts are a perfect solution when temperatures rise--while I may cut my run short on a hot day, I'll stay active in the H2O as long as possible!
Pool Safety Tips
- Wear sunscreen--always--to protect your skin against aging and skin cancer.
- If you are not a strong swimmer, never enter the pool without a lifeguard present.
- Don’t run by the pool.
Next time you’re at the picina, take a break from working on your tan and work your entire body. You'll feel and look great in that bikini!
¿Need workout inspiration? Click here to read more of my fitness suggestions.
A teacher by day, The Wise Latina Club’s Natalie Wagner Fierro is the co-founder of the Institute for Student Health. She equally loves food (cooking or dining in Washington’s restaurants) and burning calories by distance running, practicing yoga, and archery. Click here to read more about and connect with Natalie.
What is your favorite pool workout?