In early celebration of Argentina's Independence Day July 9, I'm featuring chimichurri on my plate this Meatless Monday.
¿Qué? ¿Isn't chimichurri an Argentine sauce for meat?
Sí, this colorful salsa is used in Argentina primarily to flavor grilled meat, but vegetarians and vegans can still enjoy its powerful sabor: chimichurri is delicioso on grilled vegetables.
Argentine Chumichurri Recipe
- 1 bunch fresh parsley
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1/4 small onion
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar or lemon juice
- Optional: salt and crushed red pepper to taste
- Prepare ingredients. Remove parsley and cilantro leaves from stems, peel and smash garlic, and chop the onion.
- Mix onion, garlic, parsley, cilantro, and vinegar or lemon juice in a food processor or blender until smooth. (No processor or blender? Chop ingredients until fine).
- Move the mixture to a bowl and stir in olive oil.
- Sprinkle salt and red pepper flakes to taste.
- Refrigerate in an air-tight container for at least 2 hours to let flavors blend.
Adapted from this recipe.
Slather chimichurri over grilled zucchini or eggplant, which I explain how to prepare in Memorial Day Meatless Monday: Grill Out Vegetarian Style, or use it as a tasty topping on potato or grilled vegetable tacos.
Not only is this receta delicious and easy to make, chimichurri is good for you. The sabor comes from the natural flavors of the veggies, so this spread won't add excess fat and calories to your meal. Plus, parsley and garlic have anti-inflammatory and cancer-fighting properties while cilantro is rich in anti-oxidants that help your body fight disease.
Yummy and healthy? More, por favor!
Any recipe tastes best with fresh ingredients. Summer is the perfect time to start your own herb garden and grow key chimichurri ingredients cilantro and parsley at your casa, or you can pick up fresh bunches at a local farmer's market.
Tried it and can't get enough? Try this chimichurri potatoes recipe or experiment in the kitchen to create your own dish.
It's easy to go vegetarian once a week when you have a variety of enticing options to choose from. Flavorful sauces like chimichurri add so much sabor to your verduras, you won’t think twice about skipping the meat.
¿Need Meatless Monday inspiration? Click here to read more of my recipes.
A teacher by day, The Wise Latina Club’s Natalie Wagner Fierro is the co-founder of the Institute for Student Health. She equally loves food (cooking or dining in Washington’s restaurants) and burning calories by distance running, practicing yoga, and archery. Click here to read more about and connect with Natalie.
Edited by: Viviana Hurtado, Ph.D.What is your favorite Argentine recipe?