Keep celebrating Father's Day on Meatless Monday, by treating your papi to a burger.
¿Qué? ¿A burger without meat?
¡Sí! Going vegetarian doesn't mean giving up your favorite foods, you just need to adapt them. I still love a good burger and fries, but I choose a veggie burger option.
Wondering what exactly is in a veggie burger?
Most vegetarian burger options fall into one of these categories:
2 Delicious Meatless Burgers
- Veggie patty: Veggies patties feature a variety of ingredients, for example black beans, mushrooms, or chickpeas, cooked together to mimic the shape and texture of a traditional meat patty. Different recipes can have varying results, so experiment until you find one you like. I've tasted the best patties at my neighborhood bar and a hole-in-the-wall restaurant in Guatemala. Try a veggie burger at your favorite restaurant or make some of these 17 veggie burger options in your casa.
- Portobello burger: For a quick and simple option, replace your patty with a portobello mushroom. This vegan option is my personal preference. The taste and texture will differ slightly from the animal alternative, but with the bun, fixin's and fries, the portobello patty is a healthy way to satisfy your burger craving. Try this recipe.
No burger feels complete without fries! This healthy sweet potato fries recipe is high in fiber so you feel full.
¿Don't think going meatless is manly enough for Dad or any man in your life?
Remind him that these exceptional athletes almost always pass on the meat:
- Olympic track stars Carl Lewis and Edwin Moses eat a meatless diet.
- Baseball legend and former all-time home-run champion Hank Aaron is a rumored vegetarian.
- NFL Houstan Texan running back and 2010 rushing champion Arian Foster proudly passes on the carne while Atlanta Falcons tight end shoe-in hall-of-famer Tony Gonzalez practices an 80/20 diet: 80 percent plant-based foods and 20 percent animal protein, mostly fish or chicken.
- NBA star Robert Parrish played 21 seasons and was inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame in 2003--and doesn’t eat animals.
We want what is best for our padres and chances are your papi could make lifestyle changes to improve his health. Cutting back on meat is good for him and can reduce his risk of heart disease and some forms of cancer. Help Dad stay healthy by introducing him to a delicious veggie burger.
When meatless options are this sabroso, it's easy to make the swap in all of your favorite dishes any day of the week.
¿Need Meatless Monday inspiration? Click here to read more of my recipes.
A teacher by day, The Wise Latina Club’s Natalie Wagner Fierro is the co-founder of the Institute for Student Health. She equally loves food (cooking or dining in Washington’s restaurants) and burning calories by distance running, practicing yoga, and archery. Click here to read more about and connect with Natalie.
What is your favorite veggie burger recipe?