Balancing work, familia, and "you" time each day requires mucha energía.
Something's gotta give and for many of us, it's our diet. Three balanced meals a day?
Out the proverbial window.
You're in luck. Health experts now recommend five smaller meals: healthy snacks in between breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
¡Sí! Snacking is important for two reasons:
- It curbs your hunger, preventing you from overeating at mealtime and gaining weight.
- It helps you fight fatigue by maintaining a consistent energy level. Eating several snacks over the course of the day provides a steady supply of blood sugar. Contrast this with eating two or three large meals which causes blood sugar spikes and crashes
Pero estoy bien busy. ¿Who has time to prepare snacks every day?
I do and so can you. Before my work week starts, I prepare multiple snacks. Stocking the fridge with healthy options leaves you no excuses!
But beware: not all snacks are created equal. Instead of a visit to the vending machine for a candy bar, keep healthy options in your desk drawer or purse.
I always have these quick, nutritious treats within reach:
7 Ways to Snack Smart
- Whole fruits (I think of bananas, apples, and grapes as nature’s fast food!)
- Nuts (packed with protein)
- Vegetable slices with peanut butter or hummus
- Peanut butter banana sandwich
- Fruit and yogurt parfait
- Green smoothies (yes, I may be obsessed. Try them and you will be too)
- Remember to choose snacks based on your favorite tastes (so your snacks don't sit in your purse while you lust for the vending machine!): Crave chocolate bars? Opt for 4-5 dark chocolate kisses. Hungry for Hot Cheetos? Sprinkle paprika on a handful of butter-free popcorn or snack on mango and cucumber with a dash of cayenne, salt, and lime for a crunchy, spicy fix
Click here for more healthy snack ideas.
Integrating healthy snacks into your day will leave you feeling great with energy to do it all.
A teacher by day, The Wise Latina Club’s Natalie Wagner Fierro is the co-founder of the Institute for Student Health. She equally loves food (cooking or dining in Washington’s restaurants) and burning calories by distance running, practicing yoga, and archery. Click here to read more about and connect with Natalie.What will you be snacking on this week?